Presence St Joseph Chicago Location Address:
2900 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60657 United States (US)Daily Hours:
Full-time Employment Type:
The Gastroenterology (GI) Technician, after sufficient orientation and training, assists the physician while performing Endoscopic Procedures and provides appropriate care, pre and post procedure, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse(RN). Performs appropriate care of expensive and delicate instrumentation and processes it carefully and in accordance with procedure and manufacturer's standards.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implements the individual patient plan of care under the direction of the RN. Assists physicians with patient care.
- Uses appropriate body alignment and safety measures for patients and self while transferring and repositioning.
- Observes and immediately reports unusual symptoms, changes in condition and/or injuries to the patient's nurse.
- Cleans and appropriately disinfects and sterilizes endoscopic equipment according to policy and manufacturer's recommendations. Monitors the sterilization/disinfection processes for complete and accurate record keeping.
- Assists with preparing, collecting, and labeling specimens for biopsy, cytology, cultures, etc.
- Prepares patient charts for pre-calls, post-calls, specimen review and patient correspondence.
- Maintains safe and rapid room turnaround time and quality safety and infection control standards. Transports patients to and from procedure rooms.
- Demonstrates competency in assisting physician with Endoscopic Procedures.
- Assists in maintaining par levels of supplies necessary for equipment processing. Maintains a clean and organized environment.
- Helps to identify hazards and unsafe conditions within the department and report findings to the appropriated person. Reports any noted malfunctions of a scope, sterilizer, or equipment promptly to initiate the repair process as soon as possible.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES
Does Not Supervise EmployeesQUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education and/or Experience
Experience working as a Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Technologist, Medical Assistant, or EMT/ Paramedic (including Military trained Medic) required. Computer Skills
Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Applicable EMT-B, EMT-P Certification or Certification as a Nursing Assistant required.Business Unit:
Presence St Joseph Hsp ChicagoDepartment Name:
Gastroenterology SJHNearest Major Market:
Chicago Job Segment:
Gastroenterology, Medical Technologist, Medical, Clinic, Technician, Healthcare, Technology
Associated topics: gastroenterology, hospitalist, hospitalist physician, internal, internal medicine physician, nephrology, pulmonary, pulmonology, rheumatology, sports